Thursday, May 9, 2013

Creating A New Mix Tape

When I was in middle school and high school, I found a great way to study for big tests, that always seemed to give me good results when I'd get my grades back.

I'd sit in my bedroom, with my boombox and a new cassette tape at the ready, and I'd read my notes from the class for which I was studying out loud.  Over and over and over...



Once I'd filled up the tape with the notes, I'd pop it into my Walkman (okay, okay, so I was a child of the 70's and 80's, what do you expect?!?) and listen to it while I fell asleep.  Maybe it was just my imagination but it really seemed to cement those words in my subconscious.  I'd be able to "replay" the tape in my head the next day during the test.

The problem is, I also had other tapes I replayed in my head.  Mostly it was the words of my classmates that were hurled my way on a daily basis.

"Four eyes.."

"Ugly.."

"Fatty.."

"Gross.."

Those are just four examples.  I have six years of cruel words that I have held on to all this time.  I mean, I just had my 20th high school reunion last November.

So, just like what would happen when the old cassette tapes would get stuck in my boombox and I'd inevitably have to rip it out to get it free...I'm freeing the tapes of negative words that I have listened to and replayed in my head since then and moving on.

I'm worth more than what those kids thought.

By the way...I weighed in today.  My first weigh in on this journey.

I lost 2.8 pounds.  I am just so happy...and motivated!


No comments:

Post a Comment